Thursday, September 1, 2011

TV Guide: Warren Leight on “Meloni's Exit, the New Detectives and Rejuvenating the Show”

TV Guide spoke to Law & Order SVU Executive Producer Warren Leight about Chris Meloni’s exit from the show, what Leight sees coming for Olivia Benson (Mariska Hargitay), and the updated cast. An excerpt:

(TVG) What do you see as the arc for Benson this season?


Leight: I think she's untethered at the start. In a weird way, her character never had to question things because Elliot did the questioning for her. Now, she finds herself evolving into somebody who sees the gray a little bit from time to time. Now she has to pay attention to different things, she has to understand things differently. I think that makes it very difficult, professionally or romantically, to partner up anew. Readjusting to life without a partner of 12 years is [the focus] for the first quarter of the season. Then, [there are] the first tentative steps of re-engaging with other people and finding your footing. Ultimately, loss can be liberating. I'm trying to chart the emotional life of somebody who's gone through a huge separation, and I'll see where that takes her. But I think there will be fledgling steps at relationships and partnerships, and we'll see what takes or doesn't.

 Read the full article here: TV Guide - Law & Order: SVU's New Boss on Meloni's Exit, the New Detectives and Rejuvenating the Show



 Check out my blog home page for the latest Law & Order information, on All Things Law And Order.
 Also, see my companion Law & Order site,These Are Their Stories.

6 comments:

Esaul said...

This is probably the most excited I've been for a new season of SVU.

Anonymous said...

ditto, I'm really liking the vib from warren Leight, I breath of fresh air. Can not wait for the New Season

Metalchick said...

I too am excited about this new season! I will actually be programming it on my DVR for the first time. I like where they're going with Olivia, how she'll be readjusting to working without Elliot. It sounds like she'll come to the realization that she can survive without Elliot and work well with other detectives.

gahks said...

This is an excellent article. Reading it, I think Leight has some really good ideas for the show. He's clearly put a lot of thought into it, and hopefully he'll reap the rewards.

sirmikelogan said...

Yeah, I definitely feel a good one coming on. In retrospect Meloni leaving could be exactly what the show needed.

Alicja Buczkowska said...

I'm loving Warren Leight's attitude, he really is injecting a whole new state of mind into the show. SVU might just survive this inferno...